Rev. Dr. Lara Blackwood Pickrel considers the following things crucial for her life:
- Good coffee, great yarn, and time for knitting.
- Opportunities to help people of all ages find wholeness through relationship with God, one another, and themselves
- Relationships with people from different cultures, nations, ethnicities, and perspectives
- Beautiful words, books, and turns of phrase
- Her husband, Chuck Pickrel (who makes her laugh for all the right reasons)
- Her daughter (who reminds her that joy and hope are real and present wonders)
- Soulfriends (and video chats that let them see one another)
Lara is an ordained minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and currently serves as Senior Minister with the good people of Hillcrest Christian Church in Overland Park, KS.