Lara Blackwood Pickrel considers the following things crucial for her life:
- Good coffee, great yarn, and time for knitting.
- The desire to help people of all ages to find wholeness through relationship with God, one another, and themselves
- Beautiful words, books, and turns of phrase
- Her husband, Chuck Pickrel (who makes her laugh for all the right reasons)
- Her daughter (who reminds her that joy and hope are real and present wonders)
- Her dogs, Shelby and Faith (who remind her that there is always time to snuggle)
- Soulfriends (and video chats that let them see one another)
Lara is an ordained minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and currently serves as Senior Minister with the good people of First Christian Church in Smithville, MO.